Monday, October 4, 2010

Of Pit Hair

Just to start this blog off letting you know just what kind of random things can be on here (and in my head), this first (or second I guess) blog post will be about hair or, more specifically, underarm hair of the woman.

Now a normal adult female human will have hair growing in the armpit area. It is a completely normal and natural occurrence, yet so many women in contemporary American culture think it is "gross" or even insanitary and insist upon removing it by shaving it off with a razor or pulling it out. The first method (from what I hear. I cannot speak from experience.) creates course, scratchy stubble and razor burn and cuts, the other (again, not speaking from experience) greatly increases the occurrence of ingrown hairs.

This all seems to stem from the idea that pit hair=masculine. Whether this idea started before or after it became popular for women to remove their underarm hair who can say?

I personally don't see the point in women removing the hair from under their arms. I can't see how underarm hair would make a woman less attractive. In fact, I will go as far as to say that I would rather a woman not shave or wax under her arms.

2 comments:

  1. Super random! But I wonder, would you say the same thing about female facial hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question. I don't think I would say the same thing about women's facial hair.

    ReplyDelete